Although it’s half way through July, it’s never too late to get involved. But what on earth is plastic free July?
Plastic Free July Is an iniative and challenge that aims to make people more aware of their plastic use and increase awareness of the growing waste problem.
By doing this challenge you will inevitably learn of the difficulties the lifestyle possesses, and urge us to find alternative solutions to these problems. By sharing these solutions with others we can all work together to reduce the impact we have on this Earth.
How can you act?
- Avoid products in plastic packaging (Choose alternatives like straight razors instead of disposable razors, check out www.getshaveadvice.com for more info on the best straight razors)
- Reduce where possible (opt for refills and use reusable shopping bags)
- Refuse unrecyclable/ non-recycled plastics (straws, takeaway cups, utensils, balloons)
- Recycling things that can’t be avoided
Other simple solutions include:
- Use paper bags for vegetables (Morrison’s now provides them instead of plastic bags)
- Avoid as much plastic packaging as possible
- Use a reusable bottle instead of buying bottled water and soft drinks
- Throw cigarette butts into the bin (they’re plastic and end up getting washed into the ocean)
- Pick up litter you see lying around
- Buy corn starch based compostable bags online or at a pet supplier.